Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation
Resources and Information
1. Weston High School has a GSA, GLOW (Gay, Lesbian or Whatever) Advisor: Jessica Gleason firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Triangle Community Center, Norwalk, is Fairfield County's leading provider of programming and resources to nurture growth and connection within the LGBTQ community. They have many free groups that meet weekly, bi-weekly or monthly, and they have events and resources.
3. New support groups for LGBTQ people and their friends & family starting First Monday night of each month in the Greater Danbury area. There's no specific age range for the group- the organizers are hoping to have a group for teens and one for adults, but just getting started, Reach out to them for more information: email@example.com
4. True Colors is a non-profit organization that works with other social service agencies, schools, organizations, and within communities to ensure that the needs of sexual and gender minority youth are both recognized and competently met. They have a big annual youth conference in March at UCONN Storrs; 2019 Conference is March 22 and 23, 2019
5. PFLAG Norwalk (Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays): Norwalk has monthly meetings welcoming parents, friends and allies of LGBTQ and LGBTQ people themselves.
Phone: (202) 467-8180
Norwalk Parents Support Group
TransPACT (Parents of Connecticut’s Transgender Youth) Support Group
Phone: (203) 376-8089
7. Gender Spectrum
Gender Spectrum provides a variety of resources and services “to help youth, families, organizations and institutions understand and address the concepts of gender identity and gender expression, including how societal, cultural, organizational and community definitions of gender can be detrimental to any young person that does not fit neatly into these categories.” One special resource is the “Lounge,” which offers a safe space for teens, parents, and professionals to connect and form a broader community online to share questions and stories.
8. TransYouth Family Allies
TransPact - Tony Ferraiolo runs support groups for transgender and gender-nonconforming youth and their parents. 3 groups run simultaneously in different rooms: 1. Support group for teens, 2. Art group for younger kids and 3. a support group for parents & guardians.
9. CT Children's Medical Center
Gender program "provides compassionate care to children and adolescents who express a strong desire to be a gender other than that assigned at birth." Their website offers resources including gender dysphoria support groups, school safety, finding a therapist, etc.
10. Yale Gender Program
When a child has questions or concerns related to gender, the entire family is affected. We are a safe, supportive resource and treatment center for gender-variant children, adolescents and young adults who are exploring their gender identity.
11. Summer Camps
Camp Aranu'tiq is a weeklong, overnight summer camp for transgender and gender-variant youth ages 8 through 15.
Camp Anytown is opening a gender expansive cottage this year (2016) for Connecticut or Western Mass teens ages 14-18. AND...they are giving full scholarships.